Friday, November 05, 2010

Reagan, Palin, and Noonan

Sarah Palin refers to Ronald Reagan as "an actor," and Peggy Noonan responds . . . pointedly:
Excuse me, but this was ignorant even for Mrs. Palin. Reagan people quietly flipped their lids, but I'll voice their consternation to make a larger point. Ronald Reagan was an artist who willed himself into leadership as president of a major American labor union (Screen Actors Guild, seven terms, 1947-59.) He led that union successfully through major upheavals (the Hollywood communist wars, labor-management struggles); discovered and honed his ability to speak persuasively by talking to workers on the line at General Electric for eight years; was elected to and completed two full terms as governor of California; challenged and almost unseated an incumbent president of his own party; and went on to popularize modern conservative political philosophy without the help of a conservative infrastructure. Then he was elected president.

The point is not "He was a great man and you are a nincompoop," though that is true. The point is that Reagan's career is a guide, not only for the tea party but for all in politics.
Meow!

1 comment:

  1. Meow, indeed! ;-D

    Oh, and Boo! Remember Ol' Sneakeasy, from many moons ago? ;-D

    My God have we really been blogging since 2002? ;-D

    I was Googling my name, and came across a very old post of yours where you was telling everyone I was "regaling" my readers about something or other. ;-D

    Sneakeasy's Joint was retired in 2007, and I moved on, with my cat co-blogger, Nikita, to a new home.

    In January even HE finally got his own blog, and it's more popular than my own! ;-D

    Meowsings of an Opinionated Pussycat

    http://www.opinionatedpussycat.com

    ReplyDelete